Thursday, February 04, 2016

Chicano or Indian?


To be a native, Indian, you have to live the life. Every day (or at least try?). I admit, I am not a native (Mayan, Yaqui, Apache, etc.) but a concoction of European, Native, Middle Eastern, African and who knows what else. Claiming to be an Indian would be quite presumptuous. Hell, I don't speak any Indian languages, don't participate in any sacred rituals and I have only an elemental understanding of the many indigenous cultures. 

In the end, all I or any Chicana or Chicano can do is give our brothers and sisters their due respect, honor their culture and support their uniqueness. Same goes for Italians, Jews, Africans, Muslims, Irish, Chinese, etc. This old Chicano respects all cultures and admits he is a Mestizo with no pretense of being an Indian.


Yes, some Raza have strong ties to Indian nations. They work tirelessly with and for them. These Chicanas and Chicanos have been reabsorbed into that community. Every day, they talk the talk and walk the walk. They aren't Indians when it's convenient.


I had a conversation with Ola Cassadore-Davis, the daughter of Apache spiritual leader Phillip Cassadore. I asked her what she felt about Chicano land grievances. She explained to me, "White people and Mexicans stole our land. They are all thieves. This is Indian land." At that pivotal moment, in Globe, Arizona, in 1995, I learned that in certain communities I can be viewed as a historical enemy. 


I have met some Chicanos who pretend to be Indians, making a mockery of indigeneity. They are desperate to identify with the oppressed and not as colonizers - the enemy. As for me, I admit that my identity is complicated. That does not diminish my support for Indian nations. That continues to remain strong. 


– Jesús Manuel Mena Garza, February 4, 2016 

No comments:

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...