Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Banal or Brilliant: Photographing Wichita Falls and Surrounding Communities

Jesús Manuel Mena Garza

Like my tastes in food and fashion, I prefer tried and true formulas. A simple meal and a basic pair of jeans works for me. When I look through my camera lens I want to capture the glorious details of the everyday. The simple is more elegant and less fussy than the pretentious.

Since I shoot a lot of everyday scenes I ask myself, at what point does the banal become esoteric or artistic? When I see my final edited photograph I posit,  did I produce a glorified snapshot or something more valuable?

So at what point does a simple photograph transform into fine art? Well, that decision is up to the arbiters of taste. Those anointed by our society either because of pedigree, income, affiliation or education to know better than us. The other side of the coin is that they also have a vested interest in the currency of art.

Recently, several museums, corporations and individuals have purchased photographs costing as much as $5,000,000. At that price, they definitely have a vested interest in making sure their investment appreciates (and is appreciated). The work may be poorly executed (banal in my humble opinion), but if the arts plutocracy decides the wall size print of a "department store interior" is worth millions, who are we to conclude differently. They and their minions are going to write and announce that their "piece of art" is actually worth so much more. Brilliant!

Click my (banal) photos to enlarge








No comments:

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...