Saturday, October 04, 2014

On the Macho Motorcyclist

By Jesús Manuel Mena Garza
Moto Foto Adventurer

I love motorcycles and photography. I get a visceral response to each endeavor. Both "loves" are filled with fanatics. They profess that their camera or bike is the absolute best – no question. Such is life in the First World. 

American motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson (Aka: Hog) is known for their cruiser bikes. They have a following around the world. Their riders and their bikes seem to be getting fatter and larger. All the while, Asian and European companies are still focused on middleweight or smaller bikes. If you were in Tokyo, London, Lagos or Santiago, a smaller more efficient bike would be the norm.

In the developed world, bikers can be quite obsessive about their bikes and appearance (costumes). While on a motorcycle, many otherwise sensible adults are transformed by leather and badging into road warriors or miscreants. Let me use me as an example. 

Black is bad

My retro-middleweight Triumph Bonneville SE (Bonny) is all black not pink or pale blue. Like many bikers, I have created a dark persona. I wear a black Dainese jacket (sinister demon logo included), black boots, helmet and gloves. Even my backpack is black. 


I only wear bright colors at night. That is when I put on a reflective vest. I don't want to be killed by texting teens in their parent's massive SUV. Yes, I have seen plenty of that ilk in Fort Worth, Texas.

Bigger is better?


You hear the term bad ass a lot when you ride a cool motorcycle. I often get a thumbs up, a nod of approval and plenty of positive comments. But not from Harley-Davidson riders (my brothers ride Hogs). They see my middleweight bike and invariably frown. I hear disparaging remarks like "cute" bike. On the "cool" pecking order, Harley riders feel that they reign supreme.

Click photo to enlarge (photo courtesy of Harley-Davidson)

Like Harley riders, American motorcycle magazines are quite macho too. They categorize some bikes as beginner and women's bikes. Even though I have seen diminutive adults ride big bikes. According to these snobs, everyone is supposed to ride a big or fast bike.

Again, I love my 2012 Triumph Bonneville SE. It's great for short jaunts around town but definitely not the best choice for extended rides. After three hours my hands and butt are quite numb. Riding my Bonny can be quite the ordeal. 


There has to be a better way

My next bike will be designed for the long haul, but sized right (for me). I could buy a Hog or a clone, but they typically weigh about 750 pounds. I just don't feel comfortable on a ponderous bike. 

I have been on steep inclines that have quickly turned into dead ends. While making a u-turn I have almost dropped my bike. Because I was riding my Bonny I just put one leg down and avoided incurring any damage
 to me (I don't heal as quickly from broken bones and torn flesh like I used to) or the bike. You really can't do that on a Hog. Yes, I know some experts can make their Harleys perform amazing tricks, but this old dude can't. 

I'm not in the market for Harley, Haybusa or Panigale, but considering the following bikes for interstate touring. The BMW F800GT (798 cc) and the Honda N700X (670 cc). Both have options that include saddlebags and the latest technology. My retro bike is just that. Retro. It doesn't have much tech. 


Yes, there are other great middleweight tourers out there

These two bikes are called entry-level by the motorcycle press. These writers claim you need at least 1,000 cc's to be road worthy. That is the prevailing American attitude. I call it the big-fat American way.



Click photos to enlarge (photos courtesy of Honda and BMW)

What do I like about the motorbikes? Well, both are agile and easy to maintain. They offer Anti-lock braking system (ABS) and weigh under 500 pounds. Svelte indeed. They are designed to be ridden for long distances and have class-leading gas mileage.

Ouch!

After getting abused by my Bonny during several long trips, I really appreciate a bit of comfort. Both bikes offer soft seats and good (not great) suspension.
 While touring, this is an important consideration. I am also intrigued by Honda's Automatic Dual Clutch transmission or DCT. Anything to make cruising simple.
  
Both BMW and Honda make expensive large long-haul cruisers. The Honda Gold Wing is a yacht on two wheels and the BMW K 1600 GTL is a technological marvel. Both are great bikes, but again, not for me.

It pains me to say

In a couple of weeks I will be riding from Fort Worth to Las Vegas, New Mexico. A 600 mile journey. Because I still ride a Triumph Bonneville, I will break up the trip into 200 mile chunks. Resting my weary bones in both Abilene and Lubbock.

If I had the cash I would upgrade today. I could make the trip with only one stop. Feeling less aches and pain, I may never get off the interstate. Oh, by the way, I take a lot of pictures while on the road. I have been an exhibiting photographer for more than 40 years. I describe myself as a "Moto Photo Adventurer." Fabulous.

-30-


No comments:

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...