Friday, December 18, 2009

The Big Filter



[Click image to enlarge. Photo by Jesús Garza. Delilah Montoya and Ann Marie Leimer at a Santa Monica gallery.]

In the world of American art and photography, there is one center. New York. Here, careers are made or destroyed.

This metropolis touts their power. What happens in New York according to sycophants reverberates worldwide. Artists must submit to the Big Filter.

Chicanas and Chicanos are not a concern to the Big Filter. In fact, Raza does not exist in their myopic eyes. Other cultures and groups supersede Raza. The Big Filter doesn’t hate Raza; they are just ignorant and arrogant.

They are ignorant of a growing Chicano/Chicana arts community. Also arrogant to assume that only their pain, love and creations are manifest. Raza has to be content to sit on the sideline.

A New Yorker will pass through the Big Filter’s sieve easily. Apparently they have the appropriate ethnic or religious qualifications. What are Raza to do?

###

3 comments:

anisa said...

Hi,
I like the Chicano News Feed you have in your side bar. Can you show me how it's done? I can't figure it out.

I'd like to add something like that to:

http://xicanopoetrydaily.wordpress.com/

my e-mail is xicanopoetry@yahoo.com

Thank you~
Anisa

anisa said...

I left a comment just a minute ago, but my computer redirected.. don't know if it was lost.

My comment was about your sidebar and the news you feed into it. I'd like to add something like that to this site: http://xicanopoetrydaily.wordpress.com/
but can't seem to figure it out!

Can you tell me how it's done?

my e-mail is xicanopoetry@yahoo.com

Thank you!
Anisa

Unknown said...

What is Raza to do? Seguir chingandole, that's what. It is Raza's time to step up, speak up, and be heard. Ya no soy el "pendejito" de antes my friend.

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...