Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Photography Studio Flash Choice



[Click photo of Profoto D1 Air kit to enlarge]

Recently I have been researching various brands of portable studio strobes for purchase. I need something that is rugged and easily transportable from location to location. The units I've been looking at vary in price from $99 to thousands.

I need a strobe that gives me plenty of bang for my buck. Here is what I am looking for; repeatable color temperature, high quality build, radio and/or light synchronization, low weight, medium power output, fast recycle time, quality accessories and of course a great price. In the past I have used Norman, Speedotron and Broncolor units. All of these brands are excellent for professional work.

There are some very affordable brands offered online by companies like Adorama. Adorama has been around for decades and sell the complete range of photographic equipment and supplies. The Adorama $99 Flashpoint system with free shipping and no tax is a great example of an affordable studio light.

What stops me and others from purchasing a Flashpoint strobe is that you can't examine them before purchasing. You have to be content looking at the website, pictures and specifications before you purchase. In the end, if the product doesn't make the grade, you have to ship them back. Yes, you will have to find the receipt, repackage the product, go to the post office and sadly pay for return shipping. Such is life in the Internet age. By the way, do you know what age is next?

One brand that really impresses me is Profoto. Along with being fully digital and a rental house workhorse, the Profoto D1 Air system allows you to trigger your flash from as far as 1,000 feet. Yes, the fact they are also a status symbol hasn't diminished their value in my eyes. These Swiss made gems can make any studio photographer more productive.

If you enter a budget studio you may find cheap brands like White Lightning or Alien Bees. Yes, they work okay. I am considering Alien Bees as an affordable option.

Higher-end studios usually can afford (see tax write off) Profoto and Broncolor. These reliable and accurate brands are designed for professional photographer’s with plenty of commercial clients. Only a busy pro can rationalize spending thousands on these workhorses.

Middle of the row brands include Calumet Travelite and Photoflex Starflash. Low-power two-light kits from these manufacturers are in the $800 to $1,300 price range. I have had my grimy little fingers on these flash units and they are well made. In the end (they say) you get what you pay for, but with the advent of affordable Chinese labor, new products can now be offered at a much lower price without sacrificing too much quality. What is your budget?

No comments:

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...