Monday, March 03, 2008

Nikon D3: Sucha' Great Camera

Yes, I already own a Hasselblad, a 4x5, various Nikon, Canon and Minolta SLRs but what I really want is a new Nikon D3. What a great camera.

I have been taking pictures since the mid-60s and this is by far the most exciting and useful camera I have ever laid my eyes upon. Now all I have to do is ante up about $20,000. No easy feat.

Here is my proposed shopping (wish) list:

  • Nikon D3
  • SB-800 AF Speedlight
  • AF NIKKOR 20mm f/2.8D
  • AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D
  • AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED
  • AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8D
  • AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
  • AF-S NIKKOR 24-70 f/2.8G ED
  • AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

My primary setup would be the D3 matched with a Nikkor 35mm prime lens. That combination would be great for documentary work. The Nikon can shoot at 1,600 ASA without a problem. In the early 70s, I and other photojournalists had to resort to special processing to get that ASA. Now all you have to do is flip a switch. How about 3,200… Wow!



I figure in two years I will spend the dough required to at least get the latest Nikon and one quality lens. In the interim, I will have to be content to scan my Hassy negs. So far, this hasn’t been a problem. My prints from my scans have been good enough for exhibitions and books.

Tell me what you think about my proposed setup. Yes, it is a lot of stuff to lug around, but the equipment would fit nicely in a hard case. I estimate 80 percent of my shooting would be with the 35mm lens. Now that would be sweet. I just can't wait.

-30-

No comments:

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...