Sunday, December 11, 2005

My Favorite Places in Northern California


Northern California is truly my favorite place on earth ... no doubt about it! Growing up in San José, California was truly a gift. For over forty years the Garden City, later called Silicon Valley, provided me a central jump-off point to explore the beauty of Northern California. The regions combination of great weather and diverse culture can not be matched. Here is a short list of my favorite places.

1) Downtown Carmel: Great beaches, quaint architecture, an abundance of galleries and restaurants, that's what makes Carmel special. And to top it off, the most beautiful California Mission is just a mile away.

2) Lake Tahoe: Crystal clear lakes, hiking, cycling and fishing too. I would recommend taking a day or two hike in the Desolation Wilderness Area, starting off with a boat taxi ride at Echo Lake. The many lakes and the hike are at the wondrous elevation of 9-thousand feet. The view is literally breathtaking.

3) Santa Cruz/Capitola: I have spent many hours fishing off the Capitola and Santa Cruz Piers. Nothing could be better than relaxing in the warm sun, munching on some local calamari and being refreshed by the cool Pacific Ocean breezes. If you have time spend a few hours in downtown Santa Cruz for shopping, hot tubs (The Well Within) and lunch. Next to the Capitola Pier is also a quaint shopping area and a great beach. Santa Cruz of course has the famous Boardwalk Amusement Park. Kids and some adults love it!

4) The San Francisco Art Institute: A block and a half from that crooked Lombard Street, high on a hill overlooking the bay is the San Francisco Art Institute. As a student I enjoyed the vistas from atop the SFAI. A decade later I would bring my children to enjoy the views and have a picnic. The galleries show a contemporary mix of student and faculty work. On the roof there is a basketball court and an earthy restaurant. BBQs on lazy San Francisco afternoons are not uncommon.

5) Highway 1: This two lane highway grips the California Coast and can only be described as glorious. My favorite sections are Highway 1 at Big Sur and San Mateo County. I fondly remember slow weekday afternoons reading the newspaper on a desolate beach while catching glances of whales passing by.

If you are planning a trip to Northern California feel free to contact me to get some (more) tips

-30-

No comments:

My Wife Had A Book Signing In San Antonio

  My wife Ann Marie Leimer had a book signing and lecture in San Antonio this past weekend. We had an opportunity to see friends and also go...